[Gllug] Capturing telnet session

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 13:29:13 UTC 2001

John Hearns wrote:

> I need to capture the results of a telnet session to a file,
> to download the configuration of some networking gear for
> a tech support call.
>
> Does anyone have good tips for how to do this?
> (If it is a built-in option in telnet I will cry)

In truly bad netiquette, I reply to my own question.
Perl is my friend, and I'm going to write
a scritp which uses the Net::Telnet module to do the
telnet in and capture the output.

On a related note, I recently had to print off the output of some telnet
sessions.
I used xwd, then piped the output of each capture file to
xwdtopbm | pbmtops | lpr to get the output (or some such sequence -
I also did a black/white reversal to save toner)

One wonders if the Gnome desktop (or KDE or whatever)
needs a convenient screen grab/printint utility.
Some smart person will of course respond -
Aha! It's already there as....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk