[Gllug] ulimits

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Sep 1 07:37:34 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 03:35:52AM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> I know you can restrict CPU /time/ and set /priority/ limits but I want
> to be able to say "for user blah do not let them have more than 50% of
> CPU at any one moment in time"

Unfortunately that's nonsense, becos CPUs don't multitask.

Perhaps what you actually mean is 'give me some sort of average of CPU
usage, and if it rises above a watermark then push the task back in the
schheduling queue'. Apart from the question of what type of average you're
going to use over what period of time, theres only one place that can
dynamically choose whether or not to run a process, and that's the
schedula. The complexity of the problem is probably the reason it hasn't
been implemented. Plus, Linux is not a hard real-time system (or even soft)
- the usual reason for the function you want is not to be a twat sysadmin,
but to guarantee execution of a task to deadline.

Perhaps you ought to be running rtlinux..

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk