[Gllug] 1U Cases

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demnospamon.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 16:11:40 UTC 2001

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:33:54 +0100, you wrote:

~jackson harry wrote:
~
~>Hi all
~>
~>I was on totenham court road a while back and i seen a
~>1Ghz Athlon in a 1U case complete with two hard drives
~>exhaust fans the works and it looked exceptionaly
~>smart (Black Case).
~>
~Harry, this came up a while back.
~
~A company called Acme in London make black 1U and 2U cases.
~
~http://www.acme-technology.co.uk
~
~BTW, if you are looking at putting 1Ghz Athlons in 1U cases,
~heat dissipation might have to be considered carefully, IMHO.
~
~By the way, anyone with a 1GHz Athlon care to comment on the
~size of the heat exchanger? I remember reading

The fan/heatsink is a good couple of inches high. You *have* to use
the heatsink resin to bond them together or you get some mighty funny
boot problems, compounded with the possibility of melting the chip.

I have added three extra 3" case fans, one of which blows air right at
the processor. It still runs at 49 degrees, which is a bit cooler than
some Athlon systems do! In the really hot weather, off came the case
side as well (it's a full tower purely for cooling reasons). I'm still
tempted to add another fan into an expansion slot or drive bay...

But I wouldn't swap it for anything... well perhaps a 1.4GHz Athlon
:-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk