[Gllug] Building a system from scratch

Walid Shaari ws at melinux.com
Fri Apr 19 09:20:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 15:29, John Hearns wrote:

> You should go to Rock Linux. Do not stop at go.
>
> We had a great talk on Rock at GLLUG a while back,
> and I also had a good chinwag with one of the developers at FOSDEM.
>

> http://www.rocklinux.org
>
> <evil scientist>
> Now if I could only sneak in with a CD and get it installed
> on 1000 systems during the night. Mmmwwwhhaaaa....
> </evil scientist>
>
> Let us know how you get on.

How can Rock linux be educational?
Why not try Gentoo Linux, and check their ebuild system, or Sorcerer
Linux and thier spells, but if you want to really follow a distribution
in the making join #archlinux @Openprojects.net its 0.2 now, you can use
it a source distro as in (LFS,RL,SGL,...) or as a binary distro, has the
famous PACMAN as the package-manager that behaves like an apt-get! and
nice bash code to look at.

other than that! there is an XML+PERL+(a bit of RUBY)+Administartion
project that have forked form ALFS,one of thier profiles is making an
LFS system, its still in its infancy, which makes it more educational.

hth

Walid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk