[OT] Re: [Gllug] CD's etc

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu Apr 11 21:32:58 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt(mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk)@Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:06:55PM +0100:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 09:46, t.clarke wrote:
> > I have a feeling that people pirate these sorts of things because they perceive
> > the original article to be a rip-off.
> >
> > For example, despite the fact that CD's now cost a pittance to manufacture,
> > CD prices seems to have consistently stayed ahead of inflation.  A few years
> > back I couldn't help noticing that a high-street chain wanted 14-quid for a
> > 'Brothers in Arms' CD (which had been out for absolutely ages) whereas some
> > budget price classical CD's (which would probably have involved far more
> > people to produce) were going for a fiver.
>
> The thing you have to realise is that the production cost of a CD is
> entirely decoupled from the sale price. The record companies operate as
> a cartel, and dictate contract terms to new artists, who have little
> choice but to accept if they ever wish their music to be heard. The sale
> price of a CD is purely a function of supply and demand economics - the
> record companies have a stranglehold and push prices as high as the
> market will bear.

too right it's a cartel.  if the laws of supply and demand were being
followed then they'd have to alter supply or price to stimulate sales.
instead they cry fowl and point the finger at 'piracy' for lagging
sales.  not the fact their 'warez' are over priced, and possibly, dare i
say it, there's a lack of choice.

or possibly this whole mess is due to other socioeconomic factors that
the system does'nt want to admit exist.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk