[Gllug] (OT) End of copying CD's?

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Apr 10 11:10:16 UTC 2002

At 13:56 10/04/02 +0100, you wrote:
>FWIW radio stations often get plain-wrap CDs (as well as copious normal
>ones) from the distribution companies. More or less analogous to the MSDN
>distributions of M$ bits and pieces.
>
>Distribution companies know which side their bread is buttered on. They'll
>do anything to ensure that radio stations have plenty of music in whatever
>format they want. They could of course use something like steganography(?)
>to tag the music so they can find the source of the leaks after the fact.
>
>I have no faith the ability of this sort of copy protection to work
>indefinitely. People will just make programs to play the CD and encode the
>audio stream. Quality will suffer a bit and ripping will take longer, but it
>wont stop by any measure.

Quality doesn't even have to suffer.  With most 'normal' CD players now
having digital output, soundcards also having digital inputs and a large
number of CD decks having some sort of remote control input (I mean a
socket rather than IR but that could work too), you just need some software
to play the CD and read in the digital stream through your soundcard.

JD

>Richard

IT Helpdesk.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk