[Gllug] 486sx 25 machine - thoughts and comments

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Apr 18 16:24:15 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:51:18PM +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> > You could also put a multi-port serial card in there, bung ssh on, and you
> > then have a nice ssh-able terminal server.  Terminal servers are good.
> > ssh-capable terminal servers are even better.
> Ssh does need a bit of CPU power though.

The initial key exchange and session key negotiation will be slow, but I
get acceptable performance out of my 486-33.  Mine only has 8Mb, so isn't
suitable for running more than two or three ssh sessions at once, but
with 32Mb it should be more than enough.

> I wouldn't want to allow any remote access to a firewall except ssh

Quite right.

> I think that even for that you need something powerful enough to run ssh
> without too much delay. I suspect your DX-33 is about the minimum. I
> believe that ssh uses floating point - this is probably why my old
> laptop is so slow, and if this is correct the 486SX would be too.

Ah, I thought it was integer-only.  If I can be bothered, I'll
grep float the_sources.

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  There is no sigmonster