[Gllug] Secure Internet Access Linux Box

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Apr 5 16:43:54 UTC 2002

Wulf Forrester-Barker(wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk)@Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:10:07AM +0100:
> The brief is to install Linux, boot into a graphical environment with a
> browser and not let the anonymous user do anything except surf the
> internet (and to tidy up all traces of their activity from the local
> machine on a regular basis).
>
> I imagine that I can accomplish most of this by setting up a guest user
> and giving them no access (certainly no read access) to pretty much
> anything except their home directory (for browser cookies, etc)... and
> then using a cron job to refresh even that every few hours. I'm not sure
> about how to boot automatically into the graphical environment - how
> about an account with no password?

might i suggest you have a look at www.lids.org if you want a really
secure(er) system.

hmm, mandrake has a package called autlogin, from the rpm:

Description :
Autologin automatically logs in as the user specified in
/etc/sysconfig/autologin and starts the X session defined there.

Install autologin if you want to bypass the login screen.

now, i'd suggest that the .xinitrc script be set to not start a window
manager, and just exec a browser in fullscreen mode.

well, thats some ideas for you to consider.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.  - Friedrich Nietzsche

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk