[Gllug] Re: Request from academic researcher

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Apr 2 14:15:01 UTC 2002

>Perhaps Dr Dholakia could ask the CS department at his uni
>to put up a similar page hosted on the uni web servers? That would
>allay my more paranoid leanings and shouldn't take a competent body
>long to write.

Never underestimate the power of beaurocracy. To get a change made to
our webserver, for example, requires a change request to be issued.
The change request is then debated in a CR meeting, and the most
important ones are put forward for impact analysis. Once that's been
done, the actual changes are made, checked into CVS, and will be
present when the next build goes into UAT, and from there into live
(assuming no show stoppers are found). That whole process can take
upwards of several weeks. Obviously, there's an exceptions mechanism
to handle urgent or security related fixes, but most of the changes
I put forward don't fall into that category.

Actually, the system isn't bad in itself, it's just that it was more
designed with changes to business logic in mind (which need the long
review period, and all the analysis before the changes are made). It's
just not the best way of handling 5 minute changes, and doesn't allow
us to change anything rapidly, like you're suggesting.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk