[Gllug] 486sx 25 machine - thoughts and comments

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 09:34:44 UTC 2002

On Fri 12 Apr, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I have thought about this, but my "ADSL" provider is Homechoice, and so its
> serial port.

   I heard that Homechoice may be owned by BT. In any case, if you decide to
go to ADSL at any time a firewall is reccommended.

> What is more the 93 machine is *very* loud. Not as loud as the original
> Amstrad 1386 machine that was my first PC - in 1990 - but still much louder
> than today's machines.
>
> As the ADSL box is in the bedroom this is a serious matter!

   If it is a noisy fan, try cleaning it and oiling the bearing (no need to
dismantle the fan itself, the bearing is covered by a rubber bung under the
label, just drop in some good quality light oil).
   If it is the hard disc, I have dismantled some old scrap discs and found
an external motor sitting under the circuit board with a bearing completely
caked with grime. Moving parts are now all internal or covered by labels.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk