[Gllug] Fileserver over WAN

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 23 15:04:09 UTC 2002

I wouldn't recommend nfs; the authentication/permissions system is pretty
ropey. Do you wan to be able to browse the file? Will your clients be Linux
too?

I think you should definitely limit the IP addresses that have access (if
it's practical). If you don't want to browse the files then I'd recommend
scp and ssh (encrypted, authenticated, etc). For extra paranoia you could
move it to a non-standard port and set up key stores on each machine, etc. I
suppose some bright spark has probably written a GUI front-end to it, but
I'm not aware of one.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk