[Gllug] vnc server / M$ license conflict

Murray murray at minty.org
Sat Apr 27 21:09:24 UTC 2002

I am probably missing some fundemental part of the mighty Windows, but using
VNC, unlike Terminal (nice name) Services, you can still only really have
one logged-in-account per box at a time. That account has the license.

Use of VNC would be like attaching multiple monitors/keyboards to the same
(Windows) computer/login/desktop.  MS aren't going to charge you for having
two or monitors displaying the same desktop, even if two people are using
it.

VNC simply connects to an existing Windows login/desktop.  It doesn't let
you emulate X-esque behaviour and have multiple desktops for multiple users
on a single box. That's what Terminal Services does, for which you have a
fairly well defined licensing policy.

which afaik let's you have any number of connections for the purposes of
"admin" at no extra cost.  you pay for having multiple "users" sharing the
same box.

thus, if your use is admin based, and you leave your Windows admin account
logged in (but locked) and then want to use VNC to remotely connect and do
admin type things (reading gllug for instance) I can't see why it should be
a problem.

But I am probably missing something obvious....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk