[Gllug] CD's and Computers

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Apr 11 08:30:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 05:08, E. R. Vaughan wrote:

> Pretty soon the film industry is going to start complaining. Already lots of
> movies are traded over the P2P services.

I think it already has in the States!

There's a great article on this sort of thing,
and the implications it has for Linux
as an editiorial on the Linux Journal site.

My own thoughts are that
when home VCR machines first came out, the industry made lots
of noise about potential piracy, etc. etc.
but lo and behold, these days video tape sales and hiring make
significant money for the movie industry.

I think people will always buy a proper, legal copy of a movie
or CD because of quality - yes when the Phantom Menace was first out
you could get a rip-off copy before all your mates - but it was
filemd off the screen of some cinema, complete with the heads of
the audience moving about. Guess what - most people waited till they
could see a quality showing in a cinema.

I must admit that this point is of course shot down by digital copying,
where the copy is just as good as the master. So I'm talking twaddle.

John Hearns

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk