[Gllug] I do not like this person

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sun Apr 14 17:32:36 UTC 2002

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> On Sunday 14 Apr 2002 6:30 pm, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
>
> > Commercial as in "you have to pay for it" (ie. M$ software).
> >
> This is still wrong. Under the GPL I can charge you just about anything I
> want for my software, the difference is I have to supply you with the source.
> If you wish to pass that on for nothing that is up to you - but there is
> absolutely no obligation on you to do so.

The difference as the FSF make it (I don't agree with them on everything,
but they make sense on this) isn't between commercial and non-commercial -
it's between proprietary and non-proprietary.  Linux is often commercial -
as I'm sure Roger would agree - but is rarely proprietary.  I would say that
closed-source freeware (regardless of OS) is proprietary but non-commercial.

> Until Linux starts making serious money people in the FT are going to
> continue tweaking our noses.

IBM reckon that Linux is making them serious money.  OTOH, they just
released a profit warning...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk