[Gllug] IDE issues

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 10:19:12 UTC 2002

And another thing.
I have a new (Athlon) m/b which has the new VIA KT333 chipset and an
ATA133 IDE channel with an IBM ATA100 HD in it. Under Linux (Mandrake
8.2) 2.4.18, the hard drive access CHUGS big time when shifting large
files about. When copying to the machine across the network, it caches
the first 20 or 30 MB and then when it flushes to disk, the whole
machine slows to a crawl, the mouse/keyboard barely respond etc...
I mean I know IDE requires more CPU power than SCSI but this is
ridiculous. Is it because of the newness of the chipset and lack of
driver support or should I disable UDMA133 (or whatever it's called) in
BIOS? Maybe hdparm?
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk