[Gllug] Oracle Client Software

Clive Hills chills at chills.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 11:12:18 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 11:51, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> As of Oracle 8i, forget it. They removed the text-only install. They
> still allow a non-X install, but only with a scripted response file.
> According to our DBA, it's a complete pain in the ass, so I've had
> to install X libraries on our (headless) database servers :-(

The text mode install wasn't too bad, if you were installing from CD
media (my first Oracle install was on the Pyramid Nile platform which
had a bay for a CDROM drive but for various reasons Pyramid wouldn't
actually bring the drive to marketplace so you had to use tapes -
urggh).

The new Oracle 8i installer is not only GUI but to add insult to injury
it's java based so is slow as anything.

Regards
Clive

--
Clive Hills | Unemployed Solaris/Linux sysadmin | e:
chills at chills.demon.co.uk
Crayford    | Universe/Reality/Pick DBA 	| t: 01322 550166
Kent UK	    | Looking for work in City/West End | t: 07997 013387

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk