[Gllug] OT: UTP and crimping tool

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Apr 26 11:38:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 13:01, Formi wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I have been asked to wire a network of 8-9 computers in the charity,
>  I estimate 40-50 meters of wire are needed, having looked at prices in
>  viking and similar catalogues and I will attempt to go DIY.
>
>  Anyone with spare wire to sell?
>
>  Plus could somebody lend me a crimping tool for a couple of days?
>  I will collect it from central London and I will return it myself as
>  well.

Why a crimping tool?

Are you going to do it the way of running cables all
the way from your hub/switch and putting RJ45s on them?

My advice - get some wallboxes  and RJ45 socket plates.
Then all you need is a punchdown tool.
And think of using a patch panel at the other end.

Yes - you DO need to borrow a crimper here, but to make the patch
cables only.

Oh - and remember there is a big difference between stranded
and solid Cat5 cable.
The cheaper, solid Cat5 cable is used for the runs between
patch panel and wall or desk socket.
It is attached to the RJ45 sockets using a punchdown tool.
Solid cable is not suitable for repeated bending, hence the
use of:

Stranded Cat5 cable, terminated by RJ45 plugs, for patch cables.

Don't get solid and stranded cable mixed up. Ahem....
(Several hours of sweat and swearing went into that little mixup...)

>  Any advice always wellcomed,
Yes - beg or borrow a Cat5 tester.
Just a low-end one with the set of blinking LEDs which tell you
that the wires are connected, and in what order.
You'll have no end of headaches if you don't do this.

Also get yourself  something to push rope or
cable  through ceiling voids - say a dicarded section of plastic
trunking.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk