[Gllug] I do not like this person /Rants and Raves

Allen Wayne Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 09:06:54 UTC 2002

> On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 00:46, Tushar Joshi wrote:
> >
> > I have met people in the media like this before. They don't
> just not like
> > Linux but have a real passionate hate for linux. It's
> personal. Nothing more. They have a gripe, someone wouldn't help them, or
> they didn't get help for free from some irc channel and for some reason
> feel it up themself...

But it is not the same for Windows? I work in an environment that is mainly
Windows products and have dealing with Linux/Unix users in other departments
(I also use Linux for development work and at home). They are always
complaining about Windows does not do this etc but they fail to mention the
3 hours they have spent waiting for the latest SUSE patches to download. I
use both and I believe that there is a strong reason for having both.
Windows/MS has reasonable support for professional use and it does work most
of the time. Linux is nice and useable but every so often I begin the think
that the words 'failed to compile' dependency not satisfied' was written by
Bill Gates. Windows has the blue screen of death, Linux has 'Segmentation
Fault' Windows can see my scanner.... Linux cannot. Windows cannot partition
a disk to save its life.... Linux has more options in FDISK that I have
floppies....

Using an operating system is personal. how may of us have typed ctrl-X
ctrl-S in notepad expecting it to work? (And why do delete/pgup and pgdown
always do strange things in emacs?)

Why can people not accept that for most things its horses for courses and
BOTH linux and Windows have their faults and thier plus points

Wayne

BTW I write assembler for fun!!!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk