[Gllug] Re: [OxLUG] disk hardware config

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Apr 25 19:21:37 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Alain Williams wrote:

> The trouble is that swapping disks involves lifting the lid & pushing in
> or extracting those tiny jumpers on the back of the disk, so that one
> disk is the boot/master disk - fiddley. I could just pull out the data cable &
> leave one in -- but it is sometimes nice to be able to see one disk when
> booted from another.

I suppose one idea would be to get a couple of caddy bays for about a
tenner each at a TCR Saturday Fair or somesuch, then set the drive jumpers
to CSELECT (Cable Select) and add, remove, swap around as needed.

That's somewhat clumsy but straightforward, I believe there are some caddy
type systems that effectively do the swapping bit for you.

Then there's the question of whether you're /really/ after a hardware
solution to this problem. Perhaps you just want to chainload one
bootloader from the other - allowing either disk to be the "boot" one?

Jon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk