[Gllug] Building a system from scratch

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Apr 19 10:48:24 UTC 2002

On 19 Apr 2002, Walid Shaari wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 09:46, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > I'm looking into package management, installation and configuration
> > issues at the moment.
> > There's a lot of stuff out there (thanks to everyone who replied to
> > my post on dpkg stuff).
> >
> > I had a quick look at the Archlinux site,
> > but it didn't have much to say about Pacman.
> > Are you willing to say a little bit about it?
> > And given that apt-get is possible on RPM based systems,
> > why should I be interested?
>
> John, pacman is at its infancy, its not superior to any other package
> management system, it just does the job it is inteneded to do atm, and
> will grow as AL grows. think of it as slackware Pakage Mgt. tools with
> an extra sync utitily added and thats is pacsync. I have just mentioned
> it because its simple in concept and implementation.
>
> on the other hand regarding Package managemnt! the LSB seems to
> reccomend a system based on RPM somehow!! so that rules tools such as
> pacman out in the mainstream distros.

Wrong.

For a system to be LSB-compliant, it must allow the installation of packages
in RPM format.  The LSB specificially *excludes* the use of RPM
dependencies except a generic dependency on 'lsb', so alien or Slackware's
rpm2tgz should be enough to be compliant.

"Package Format

Applications should be provided in the RPM packaging format as defined in
the appendix of Maximum RPM, with some restrictions listed below.

Distributions must provide a mechanism for installing applications in this
packaging format with some restrictions listed below. [2]

[2]

The distribution itself may use a different packaging format for its own
packages, and of course it may use any available mechanism for installing
the LSB-conformant packages."

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.1.0/gLSB/swinstall.html and the
next few pages...

Cheers