[Gllug] Bandwidth shaping

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Apr 3 10:36:49 UTC 2002

I'm trying to get my head around bandwidth shaping.  It's really doing
my head in.

Okay so it seems you can only control outbound traffic and the aim of
any shaping algorithm is to get the packet queuing to happen in a
queue over which you have control.

So would it be possible to use a loopback network connection to begin
controlling inbound bandwidth?  Alternatively, if you have a machine
running as a router between your computer and the Net connection,
could you get it to shape the incoming traffic?

I don't think I'm the only one who has little interest in controlling
outbound bandwidth and lots of interest in ensuring I can still ssh
into my machine even though a big download is occurring.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

A reactionary is a man whose political opinions always
manage to keep up with yesterday.