[Gllug] I do not like this person

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Mon Apr 15 13:44:56 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 20:18, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> > Except that it's not is it - not in terms of real user experience. People at
> > desks are using MS Word on Windows NT.
>
> not 100% true, but i know what you mean.  the market is driven by what
> people can see.  if you cant see a web server, then most arent going to
> have a clue about what it runs on.

Good point. I agree - as I see it, computing is application driven.
No-one ever says 'lets buy 100 Linux/windows/BDS boxes and lets' see
what we can do with them'.

Rather, what happens is users have needs to run specific applications -
and when those needs become overwhelmingly in favour of another
platform,
then the systems people are virtually forced into changing.

> > then those who write about IT will continue to be sceptical.
>
> it's certainly a perception thing.  until the likes of (open|star)office
> become prevalent then the desktop will remain the realm of MS and Apple.

I kinda don't agree here.
On the server side, the 'killer app' for Linux (and the BSDes) was
Apache.
Suddenly, over the period of a few years, we saw big swings away from
proprietary web servers.
For instance, whatever happened to web servers running on SGI boxes?

I really don't think we have seen the 'killer app' for the Linux desktop
yet.
Remember, that for the Apple the killer app was Visicalc.
For the IBM PC it was Wordstar (IIRC).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk