[Gllug] /etc/mtab

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Apr 9 17:31:09 UTC 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 leming at space.pl wrote:

>'lo Mastaz...
>Couple of dayz ago some weird things happened to my mandrake
>machine. /home directory got completely gone... what it's saying
>is 'File MTAB exists but cannot be stat-ed: Input/Output error'
>Dunno coz it never happened to me before.Any help?

Boot to single user mode with a read only / filesystem, then run:
# /sbin/fsck /

I guess you're using reiserfs, as ext2 would have been checked and errors
found after an unclean shutdown (I assume the machine crashed?)

Either way, if it's medium error (HD knacked) fsck will try salvaging the
affected areas. In the case of /etc/mtab, it can simply be deleted.

If it is a flaky HD, you'd best replace it. It's not an IBM drive is it?

--
    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk