[Gllug] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 19:15:04 UTC 2002

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:06:10PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am trying to configure some software that has requested the correct 2
> letter code for country. Did I see that it should be GB, and that UK should
> really mean Ukraine or something else? (I would not want to claim that it
> was Gibraltar either).
>    Thanks in advance for any help.

The 2 letter ISO code for Great Britain is 'gb'.

Officially all DNS domain names for a country should end in the ISO code.
The only exception is that 'uk' is used instead of 'gb' - basically 'cos
were were using domain based names long before anybody else thought of
it and what we used was 'uk'.

The other exceptions are some of the top level domains that are in use
by the 'us', eg .gov, this is because most citizens of the USA don't
appreciate that the other countries in the world are technolgically
advanced enough to know about computers, let alone the Internet.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk