[Gllug] weird CD / modem problemm

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 00:17:04 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 01:05, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> can anyone shed some light on the following problem i've only just
> observed on my 2.4.18-jp9 system:
>
> i was getting extremely miffed at what i initially thought was a bt
> internet problem this afternoon.  while concurrently ogg encoding some
> CD's my ppp net connection managed to drop about 50% of the packets.
> nothing todo with bt, but they were my immediate cause for suspicion.
>
> for whatever bizzare reason, reading data off the ide dvd drive fsck's
> up my modem/serial port.  does anyone have the slightest fsck'ing clue
> what might cause such a monumental bodge up for my all singing and
> dancing multimedia monster?

It could conceivably be a DMA conflict. I heard of one occasion where a
machine was continually dying - careful examination revealed a DMA
conflict between the NIC and the hard drive, which meant that
occasionally raw ethernet frames got written to random areas of the
disk.... 16550 UARTS can do DMA, so it's worth checking.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk