[Gllug] Building a system from scratch

Dylan Brewis dylan at exoletus.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 20 00:09:30 UTC 2002

Cheers for the pointers, but my quandary remains.

I remember the Cambridge Research (I think?) 4-bit machine screwed to a
wooden board; tapping hex-coded machine code directly into memory and running
the program with something akin to (hex-code of) JMP xx.

Then there was a Commodore PET; many hours spent POKEing values to screen
memory for sprites!

VDU statements, *FX, OSWORD

Implementing 'overlays' in BBC Basic and raster-timed colour tricks in 6502
assembler.

I still have my first hard drive (a 'Winchester'); albeit opened up to show
the inner doings to an incredulous drunken (maybe stoned) audience at some
point.

When my father's IBM PC arrived, it worked WITHOUT a floppy! No
floppy=cassette loading of programs, put in a boot disk and get DOS.

Oh, the liberation! 64k (if u were lucky, 128) to 640 in one fell swoop
(well, if u decided to upgrade)

Am I rambling? Maybe it's the Gin!

On a windose system, I know what happens between power-on and login dialog or
usable desktop. I've read the powerup to bash howto - it tells me what
happens. But Win95 loads EMM386.whatever as a DOS driver because of legacy
protected(/real?) mode Intel stuff. The equivalent information is not in the
howto (or have I just been blind to it?)

How does Linux (for that mater *nix) relate to the BIOS? Is it ignored after
the POST and bootstrap, or does the Kernel hook it up later? (for example)
When I wanted to manipulate the parallel port under W, it was easiest to call
a 'DOS-mode' driver (of sorts) to do the peeking and poking - is the
equivalent true in *nix (I don't even know where to look for the underlying
info to work it out!)

I feel, it's almost proud, but words are falling asleep as the Gin keeps
arriving. Still, I've gone from 1 Win98 machine and a Win95 laptop to a five
client Linux network with server and gateway in a year. As a hobby. Got round
NFS, automount, NIS, blah blah. Haven't managed to print yet (but done some
CD writing, audio sampling and scanning. Hey, who cares about the details?

I might, if I were naive, say "what is the difference between the kernel, a
module, and a daemon". In reality I suppose, "what issues/facts/situations
lead a programmer to decide between a kernel patch, a module and a daemon." I
can think of NFS as an example. If I read the stuff right, it's gone from
daemons to kernel/module, yeah - so an individual function can be implemented
in many ways as many system levels. I know how to decide between a background
task (I knew them as TSR's) and a (virtual/DOSmode) device driver. (in the
end the answer seems to be "Don't use Windows."

I'm looking for something like this...:

"The core of a Linux system is the Kernel, which must necessarily do this.
For the sake of portability, these functions are often implemented as
modules, but you can build a monolith...

"Once the kernel is loaded it has to do this because and then it can do this
so that this can happen. Memory paging is implemented like this because it
relates to swap space and hard drives thusly."

I don't want to know this stuff when I wake up tomorrow morning - I expect to
be learning more the day before I die (bigger lessons to learn THAT day!) but
WHERE OH WHERE is the information. It's a fscking swamp and I'm drowning!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk