[Gllug] I do not like this person

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 17:47:42 UTC 2002

On Sunday 14 Apr 2002 6:13 pm, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> Adrian McMenamin(adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk)@Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 05:46:39PM
+0100:
> > Until Linux starts making serious money people in the FT are going to
> > continue tweaking our noses.
>
> are you saying that the FT only has respect for products/services that
> have clearly been shown to make as much money as possible?
>
> well i can believe that, after all the hint is in the name.  ahh,
> ignorance is bliss, we'll take over the world with our (free|open)
> software and then depose them from the exalted positions they have
> over us.

Except that it's not is it - not in terms of real user experience. People at
desks are using MS Word on Windows NT.

Server companies selling Linux are struggling to make any money at all. (With
the possible exception of IBM).

Money is needed to pay for innovation and development - and MS has plenty of
that.

And, no, that is not what I am saying about the FT: but until Linux either
ends up on the desktop or is seen as serious commercial/profitable option,
then those who write about IT will continue to be sceptical.

I see no sign of Linux winning on the desktop at the moment, so its serious
money from servers that will win the war, I think.

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk