[Gllug] IDE issues

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 10:35:15 UTC 2002

> And another thing.
> I have a new (Athlon) m/b which has the new VIA KT333 chipset and an
> ATA133 IDE channel with an IBM ATA100 HD in it. Under Linux (Mandrake
> 8.2) 2.4.18, the hard drive access CHUGS big time when shifting large
> files about. When copying to the machine across the network, it caches
> the first 20 or 30 MB and then when it flushes to disk, the whole
> machine slows to a crawl, the mouse/keyboard barely respond etc...
> I mean I know IDE requires more CPU power than SCSI but this is
> ridiculous. Is it because of the newness of the chipset and lack of
> driver support or should I disable UDMA133 (or whatever it's
> called) in
> BIOS? Maybe hdparm?

I've got a similar machine (Athlon with VIA KTsomething) running Debian
with a 2.4.18 kernel that has similar problems - the mouse freezing for
several seconds if there's a heavy background process running.
It didn't seem to happen using RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.17 on the same
machine though so I guess it's a configuration issue.

Paul.

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk