[Gllug] webcams

E. R. Vaughan e.vaughan at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 11 01:12:18 UTC 2002

Paul Brazier wrote:

| > How are they better?
|
| Been looking into this a bit more and the Logitech QuickCam Express uses
| a CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor whereas the more
| expensive Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000 uses a CCD (Charged-Coupled Device)
| sensor.
|
| Apparently CCD sensors are generally considered to be superior to CMOS
| ones.

Yes this will be the technical reason I guess, I just said that based on
subjective experience of using them with Yahoo Messenger in Windoze. I have a
couple of friends in the US who have the cheap versions and the quality is
awful even at 320x240. No idea about Intel cams which I hear are supposed to
be good. I can't remember the name of the program I used, but the drivers
operate as a standard video4linux device. I have everything set up on my
Slackware partition, unfortunately I need Windows for net access.

Emil

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk