[Gllug] RE: [Glut] Official country code for Britain = GB or UK?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Apr 17 11:32:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:41:25PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> Definitely not the last link; DNS's lookup mechanism requires
> low-latency any-to-any links, which is very unlikely to be practical for
> interstellar (or even interplanetary) comm.

Well it's about time DNS was replaced with something a little less broken
anyway.

And no, I'm not volunteering to design it and write the reference
implementation.

> (Imagine a three-way handshake to Venus: ten minutes to an hour to bring
> up a single TCP session! --- and everywhere else is *worse*.)

That's faster than IP by carrier pigeon, which has been implemented.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk