[Gllug] Network synchronisation tool

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Aug 27 15:22:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 15:56, Garry Heaton wrote:
> I've been using a utility called Robocopy on Win2000/XP for some time to
> synchronise/backup folders between 2 machines at home. It enables me to
> write a batch file specifying folders to be synchronised via a mapped
> drive. Since moving most of my work to Linux I now need a similar tool
> to do the same job between 2 Linux machines but there are probably many
> alternatives I'm not aware of. What is the right tool for the job? Perl
> script? DrakSync (Mandrake)? ssh/scp with appropriate flags? This is
> only for the network backup. I'll be using the CD burner for external
> backups.

rsync is your friend.

It'll do some very strange things, such as only copying parts of files
which have changed. Very network efficient. It operates over rsh or ssh,
or it'll use its own protocol.

It's also useful, I found, as a simple replacement for scp, or even cp,
because of it's network efficiency, and ability to "resume" broken
copies. I tend to use it when copying to/from mounted windows shares
instead of cp, for instance.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk