[Gllug] Argos site

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Aug 1 09:51:27 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:58:00PM +0200, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:59:21PM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
>  > I too have issues with the Odeon website.
>
> I got curious about this a while ago, and poked around a
> bit to try and figure out what exactly it was trying to do.

*cough* *ahem*

Sorry.

Apparently, that was a lateral site. I'm embarressed.

I've asked about the office to try and get some information about
_why_ it sucks so mightily. Currently, the reason appears to be that
the client only mandated that the site should work on IE. There's also
rumblings about it being something to do with the way that one of the
partners supplied content. Personally, I think the latter is a load of
rubbish. Sadly, I believe that this particular project is over and
done with.

<defence type="feeble and struggling">

I've been here a while now, and things are starting to improve. The
new version of the lateral website (not out yet) _does_ work properly
in both low end and high end browsers. Any project that goes through
my hands is at least navigable in Mozilla, which is a bonus. I'm
pointing people towards accessibility guides, and mention it when
asked about technical issues with a site.

</defence>

It's really useful when the public provide feedback on sites. It's the
only time when someone apart from an arsey techie gets heard. The best
thing that you can do to get the situation to improve is to send
*polite* emails mentioning any difficulties with websites that you
have that we've done (generally, most design companies try and leave a
mark _somewhere_ on a site)

I won't mention that _support_ at _lateral_ dot _net_ is a publically
postable address. That would be cheating.

Cheers,

Simon

--
I'm not exactly sure what the constitutional definition of "annoying"
is but I'm fairly sure that obvious stuff such as waving and agreeing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk