[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 00:02:39 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 23:47, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 23:05, Nix wrote:
> > On 05 Aug 2002, John Hearns moaned:
> > > Much though I like Evo, it does have the habit of throwing fits from
> > > time to time.
> >
> > This does *not* make me more willing to use it :(
>
> IMAP is good enough protection, I find, for almost any email client
> problem. Cyrus IMAPd allows server-side filtering, so there's even less
> reason to worry about your email client exploding.

Indeed. I've become much more blase about testing different mail clients
since switching to IMAP.

> I do prefer Evolution to any other email client I've ever used, when it
> behaves, which it usually does. The RedHat builds seem remarkably
> stable, unless other IMAP clients are using your mailstore at the same
> time.

The Mozilla mail client is actually very good indeed these days. You
have to tweak some preferences from a user.js file to make it behave
like a really good citizen, but in some ways I prefer it to Evolution.

I really dislike Evolution's implicit assumption that you're using local
mailboxes. The mailbox status list in the summary pane will only list
local folders, making it useless on IMAP setups, they insist on having
stuck the Calendar and Contacts under local folders for some bizarre
reason, so whenever you click the contacts icon on the side bar, it
opens the local folders hierarchy for you. Has anyone managed to figure
out a way to tell it there are no local folders, and to please bloody
well get rid of them.... Or is this impossible....

Equally, I've not found a way to turn off the format toolbar, or to add
arbitrary headers to outgoing messages.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk