[Gllug] Cheep backup solution

Stan stan at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 22 11:15:14 UTC 2002

Tethys (tet at accucard.com) apparently wrote:

> I've got a SCSI DVD-RAM drive that I used to use for backups. It's
> now died as a writing device, and only works read-only :-( I've been
> resisting replacing it until the market settles on a standard for
> DVD writing, which I suspect isn't going to be DVD-RAM... For that
> reason, you may be able to find cheap DVD-RAM drives and media, but
> is it really worth buying into a dying media?

I was concerned about this when I got the pioneer 104 (-R and -RW).  I
have done some testing though and all but one of the DVD ROM drives
hanging round here would read DVD-Rs and I found a couple that read
DVD-RW.  This is obviously important incase the drive breaks at the
same time I need to restore from backup (it never rains but it pours)!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk