[Gllug] Bad egg.

James Durie james.durie at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Aug 28 21:34:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 16:36, will wrote:

> Just got this message from an egg webpage when upgrading to a new service:

> The software we give you to run Egg Money Manager is 'browser based' and will
> only work on a PC with Internet Explorer 5.0 or above, and Javascript must be
> enabled. If you have a PC, you can easily download Internet Explorer free at
> www.microsoft.com.
>
> Please be aware that this download may take a long time. If you have a slow
> Internet connection you may prefer to obtain the latest version of Internet
> Explorer from another source (for example, a computer magazine cover disc).
>
> Please note that Internet Explorer version 6 (and above) is only compatible with
> Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT4.0, 2000 and XP.
>
> Unfortunately, we're unable to offer this service to Apple Mac users at the moment.
>
> If you don't want to download Internet Explorer right now you can always do it
> at a later stage or you might want to register from another PC that has Internet
> Explorer 5.0 installed.
>
> Booooo.  They have just gone down in my estimation a long way.
>
> Will.

I find that the Egg website works really well in Galeon.

The thing about money manager is it is account aggregation software.
I.e. it lets you access other online accounts via the egg web page. The
only way they were able to do it without getting sued by the other banks
was to have a piece of software which sat on the users machine and
stored the account login details. This way egg are never informed of
your account login details.

So far that software is only compatible with Windows and IE. The thing
to do is not to leave but ask them why don't they make the software open
source as that way it would be even more secure. :-)

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk