[Gllug] Hardware recommendation, esp. SANs and shared storage

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Aug 9 11:22:59 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 8 Aug 2002, Jim Bailey wrote:
>I fairly certain that like a lot of the big boys out their he has
>finally got his head around the fact that cheap Linux = more money for
>expensive Oracle or what ever expensive proprietary solution you are
>selling.

This is in no way stating the official position of my employer, but I
tend to feel, also, that even if free databases eventually scale up to
the huge levels that Oracle works at, and if someone writes "GNU SAP"
and it works [1], rendering proprietary software irrelevant [2], there
will still be a need for people to be paid to get this software
working at all but the smallest companies, which is what a fair chunk
of Oracle's income is today. But they can only keep that income if
they stay abreast of free software now.

[1] Personally, I have no doubt that the first of these will happen.
The second, hm.
[2] This is overly optimistic. Proprietary Web servers, MTAs - even
DNS servers - still survive, if not prosper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk