[Gllug] samba problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 16:31:04 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I have a couple of users I am sure I added using the smbpasswd -a command, will
and user1.  The user 'will' works fine (all tested from win2k) however the
'user1' user does not work, it keeps prompting for the password.  The only
difference I can see is the smbpasswd file entries:

will:1000:encrypted password snipped:encrypted password snipped:[U
]:LCT-3D616ED7:will
user1:1004:encrypted password snipped:encrypted password snipped:[UX
]:LCT-3D64EBCE:

the user1 entry has a 'X' in it.  I am going to try taking this out of the file
to see if this makes any difference (when I get home), but I want to know what
it does.  I have googled and read all the man pages, but cannot find this
information.  man 5 smbpasswd describes the smbpasswd file format but does not
say what the X is for.  It is not a 'disable account flag', disabling the
account (smbpasswd -d) results in the following entry:

user1:1004:encrypted password snipped:encrypted password snipped:[DUX
]:LCT-3D650D25:

Anyone know what is going on here?  I am using samba version 2.2.2

Thanks
Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk