[Gllug] adding a network card to a linux machine

Andy McGarty andy at mcgarty.net
Wed Aug 28 00:11:44 UTC 2002

> On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 00:25, Philippe Rousselot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a machine running mandrake SNF
> >
> > My ethernet PCI card has been recognised without any problem and I am
> > connected to the outside world
> >
> > my second card is an ISA card a 3COM 3c509b and has not been recognized
> > during the install.(I know that the card works fine as my first install
> > was done with a regular linux distro and with only this card)

Also have a look at linuxconf which allows you to set up a second ethernet
interface.  You can choose the driver to use and set io ports and IRQs
(which you'll need as its an ISA card).

If the card is set as PnP then it might be an idea to set it as fixed
(you'll need to work out what IRQs/ports are free) which will probably
require you booting from a dos flopply and running the config utility.

You can also set up the ip address etc from here.

Good luck

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk