[Gllug] Odd phone calls

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Aug 30 17:00:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:02:29PM -0700, Harry Jackson wrote:

> What really pissed me off though was a call a couple of days ago asking
> me if I would like new windows. I asked where they got my details and
> they said that they had bought it as a database from a company. I
> imagine I have missed the little check box on some form or other that I
> have signed and will now be receiving several calls.
>
> I consider this stuff as harrasment but there is nothing that I can do
> about it and there is also nothing I can do to stop it which really
> gets my goat. I wish that there was a database that you could put your
> national insurance number in that meant that even if you happened to
> miss the little check box*[1] that you would never be bothered again.

spam has no laws governing it properly but telesales and the like do
AFAIK.  If you get a call like this tell them it is a mistake that they
have your number and that you would like to be removed from all records
as is your right under the Data Protection Act. most companies will do
this in the UK.  Obviously this is not something telesales companies
volunteer as info.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk