[Gllug] OT computers in the movies

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 11:41:35 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 29 Aug 2002, Tethys wrote:
>>By and large I liked it. If I could have made one change it would be
>>to cut the entire Indiana Jones sequence in Moria, because it's a
>>total fabrication that takes up time that could have been used for
>>more of the book.
>The orcs swarming all over the walls and ceiling in Moria was one of
>the biggest problems for me. If orcs could climb walls and ceilings,

That's a very good point. But what you are forgetting is dwarves' love
of black treacle, which over the years has made Moria very sticky.

>>Glorfindel turning into Arwen I can live with, because otherwise she's
>>practically created ex nihilo in Return of the King - she doesn't
>>actually have any lines in Fellowship at all.
>See, I think part of what I like about Tolkein's writing is that
>characters exist merely for themselves, and not necessarily to
>be used later in the plot.

Well, I don't think the loss of Glorfindel is a net benefit, but I can
live with it. Particularly, Arwen's _there_ in Fellowship, she just
doesn't speak, like a statue to be admired from afar.

See, one of the things that always bugged me about the book is that
Arwen is shockingly wet, and Eowyn strikes me as rather admirable -
plus, dating Eowyn won't condemn her to an early grave. So anything
that fluffs up Arwen a bit does help to address that oddity.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk