[Gllug] invisible mouse

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu Aug 15 16:59:45 UTC 2002

And verily, didst Jeremy Tarling announce to the hordes:

> I've just done a new install of Woody and I have an invisible mouse, can
> anyone suggest what might casue this?
>
> GDM and Gnome start up fine, and I can middle-click or right-click on the
> desktop to bring up menus so I know the mouse is there, I just can't see
> it!
>
> According to /var/log/XFree86.0.log everything seems fine, X reads the
> config file and probes for and finds the mouse (no EEs).

Could be a problem with hardware/software pointer stuff.
Maybe your graphics card doesn't have good support for hardware pointer.
(Needs to be changed to software in the X config, but... Can't find the info
on it at the moment...)

> Hardware is an HP vectra ve
> Pentium III 550Mhz
> Matrox G200 AGP 16MB video card
> and the mouse is a Logitech pilot mouse
>
> (this same hardware has run Slackware and RedHat with no mouse probs, so
> I'm thinking it's a Debian thing)

If your slack and debian have the same X version, you could always
transplant the XF86Config file.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk