[Gllug] OT Scanners

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Aug 13 12:08:12 UTC 2002

will wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am going to buy a scanner so I can convert all my colour print photo's
> to an online photo album and to preserve them.  I have looked on
> scan.co.uk and they have a few, but I am looking for recommendations on
> scanners that Gllug members might used and found to produce good results
> under Linux.  I have a budget of about £150 and am looking for pretty
> good quality scans.  The interface can be parallel, SCSI, USB or magic
> as long as it works with Linux (and preferably the Gimp).  I have a SCSI
> card that I don't currently use that has an external connector about 30
> x 5 mm and I think the chipset is 'NCR 53c801 (written on one of the
> chips) but I don;t know any more about it than that.  Any suggestions?

The gimp uses http://www.xsane.org/ which is what you will need to do
the scanning, here is a list of which scanners it supports
http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

My personal preference for scanners are those made by Epson as they (i
believe) made all the hardware specs freely available to the project
(they at least did this for their printers to the gimp-print project)
and they give a good quality image etc. I currently own the nice and
cheap Perfection 640 (which now appears to have been obsoleted!) which
cost me about 60 quid last year.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk