[Gllug] XFree86 & dillo was -> Icewm

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Mon Aug 26 14:41:00 UTC 2002

> if an application creates an X bitmap or pixmap, then that shows up as
> part of the X server's memory usage, not the client's. You can get a
> high level view of where the X server is using its memory with:
>
> 	cat /proc/`/sbin/pidof X`/maps

Thanks for the explanations Tet, had a look at the above command not too
sure how to read the output.  It also appears Dillo isn't leaking like I
thought (using memory and not releasing it when closed), when I open
Dillo for the first time it ups XFree86 RSS by about 1MB for ever window
after that it increases by about 6MB but when I close them it releases
the memory.  So when I have 10 or more windows open as I tend to do I
guess that's where I'm stretching it a bit with my small swap file and
they vanish.  But when I open multiple windows of galeon XFree86 RSS
hardly increases, does this still mean there is something wrong with
Dillo?

thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk