[Gllug] Help with a kernel crash

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 15 15:07:10 UTC 2002

>I've had a look at "page_alloc.c" in the source code for RedHat's kernel
>version 2.4.18-5 (which the box is running) and lines 114 and 115 are:
>	if (page->buffers)
>		BUG();
>
>So what is page->buffers and what could cause it to crash ?

It's a bug because immediately prior to that check is a call to
lru_cache_del() to free the page. Thus if page still has non-NULL
members after that call, a bug has occurred[1]. As to why the call
to lru_cache_del() didn't free everything it should have, I'll
leave that as an exercise for the reader :-)

Tet

[1] Interestingly, I'm surprised at the level of paranoia checking
    here. I guess mm is one area where it's justified, though...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk