[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 01:35:56 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 23:35, Mark Preston wrote:
> On a theoretical level should it not be safer to wear copper armour in a
> thunderstorm than ordinary clothes? I thought that the charge passes over
the
> outside of the metal to earth, but doesn't transfer to the region inside the
> conductor.

Indeed, but the "outside of the metal" you refer to includes the inside
surface of our imaginary copper armour. Additionally, since metals aren't
perfect conductors, they tend to heat up a lot when transmitting that amount
of high Voltage current. Bags not turning into dragon kebab.

Safer than standing on top of a hill in a thunderstorm, wearing either copper
armour or ordinary clothes, is of course being curled up indoors with a good
book (probably about metallurgy).

The bewildered look on the face of the guy in the Guiness Book of Records,
lying in a hospital bed recovering from his seventh lightning strike, is
classic. I don't think he was wearing any armour!

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
Web: www.jonathanharker.co.uk