[Gllug] Logging into an NT Domain

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 12:00:56 UTC 2002

Davies Sue wrote:

>http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk
>

>CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER
>
>This email is confidential to the initial email addressee.
>If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
>immediately on +44 (0)20 8592 4500 and delete the message
>from all locations in your computer network. You should not copy
>this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its
>contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.
>
>Due to the informal nature of this form of communication
>the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (the "Council")
>hereby excludes any warranty as to the quality or accuracy
>of any information contained in this message and any liability
>of any kind for the information contained in it, or for its
>transmission, reception, storage or use in any way whatsoever.
>As a result in the absence of prior non-email agreement written
>or otherwise this email does not legally bind the Council to any
>relations or obligations in English or other Jurisdiction law
>
>I've been asked to seriously look at using Citrix under linux some of our
>older machines.  I've got the
>Citrix ICA Client to work but now I need to be able to login to the NT
>domain and browse the network.
>I've used Samba to provide file and print services to windows machines
>before but I've never had to do
>it the other way round. I've spent some time searching the web for an answer
>but so far I'm not doing
>too well.  Can anyone give me some idea of what I need to do (apart from
>giving up M$ throughout)
>although since their new licensing scheme anything is possible.
>
>Thanks
>
>Sue

Pam does support auth via samba.  I have a couple of thousand users
using email on linux with passwords sitting on an NT box.

I have also used Linux within a complete w2k environment to browse
shares etc.and login to the network.  Programs like konqueror I believe
have a setting for default username and password; hence you should be
able to have one login thoughout.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk