[Gllug] Icewm

james at soon.co.uk james at soon.co.uk
Sat Aug 24 23:41:13 UTC 2002

>>When I upgraded to my Debian box to Woody about a year ago I
>> gave icewm a try but I found the GUI a bit clucky.
>> I then found XFce <http://www.xfce.org/> which I have used ever since.
>> It is small, fast,  pleasant to look at and has just the
>> right amount of features to be productivity.
>
>Yes I agree, I use XFce and find it very good, to the point that I'm
>looking at removing gnome (have removed KDE), gdm etc and booting
>straight to XFce.  I wanted to play with them all to see which I like
>and don't use the others at all now.  From my understanding XFce is a
>desktop environment not just a window manager and aims to be a
>cholesterol free replacement for gnome/kde.
>
>My only issue and I'm not sure if it is xfce causing the problem is
>XFree86 seems to bloat in size (memory use in top) over the day, easily
>over 100Mb.  Have just been playing with it and found that it appears to
>be web browsers that are causing the problem.  I've only been using
>Dillo today so maybe it has some memory leak although I was using galeon
>earlier.  Have had a couple of times when I've requested a page and all
>windows of Dillo and galeon vanish from the screen.
>
>Steve

Something is definitely not right, for what it is worth on my system (Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 PPro SMP) I have not seen XFree86 go above 25000K or XFce above 3000K and I use Galeon all the time (webmin, CUPS etc..). Memory leak maybe? Currently my memory munching monster is Java which doesn't get out of bed for anything less than 80MB.

James

--
Personalised email by http://another.com