[Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Fri Aug 30 12:32:55 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye asked:

>Has anyone got any experience with oneandone (http://oneandone.co.uk)?
>It all looks very cheep as they advertise 2.89gbp per year for domain
>registration (and it looks like they give you email and webspace too but it
>could be a scam) but is it any good?

Going off topic...

I have a domain reseller account with OpenSRS, so I'm sort of in the domain
game in a *very* minor way (basically we just register names for some
clients that host with us, and some for mates). A co.uk would cost _me_ 13
USD for 2 years. Approx 4.70 a year (vat not applicable).

If I joined Nominet (at 400 UKP), it would could get uk names at, (IIRC),
2.50 p.a. Now by the time you add VAT, => 2.93, so I assume the One and One
[1] price is 2.89+vat = 3.39.

In either case, that's a net margin of 39p. By the time you add in 3% or so
for the Cc fee, which'd be about 10p, costs of running the system, nominet
costs, costs of staff, cost running the business, etc, you're probably
talking profits of a couple of pence per domain if you're lucky.

Now, I don't want to cast aspersions on a "rival" (though this isn't even a
David/Goliath situation, David's way too big to be compared to me) but they
can not afford to give you any kind of service what-so-ever for those kinds
of margins. Most of the time, that'll be fine. But one dark day years from
now you'll need to move the domain, or something will go wrong and then
you'll see why it was so cheap.

Now that all sounds a bit negative, I'm sure they're fine, run a good system
and a honest business, (even if they have nicked the web design from apple).
But in my experience you gets-what-you-pay-fer. That said, one pays through
the nose for a verisgn/netsol domain and the service there is abysmal...

So, in conclusion, if the domain isn't "critical", suck-it-and-see, and let
us know of your experiences.

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
http://www.britstream.com

[1] "One and One" http://www.killermontstreet.com/discography/love/07.shtml
was a fairly poor song from Aztec Camera, the man behind it, Roddy Frame has
a *great* acoustic album just out called Surf.
http://www.musiceteams.com/roddy/ (pop-ups / flash content).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk