[Gllug] Monitor repair

Magnus Nilsson magnusn at advfn.com
Mon Aug 5 09:18:41 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 20:28, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sun 04 Aug, Magnus Nilsson wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> > Is there anyone who knows where I could get my monitor repaired for a
> > reasonable price? It's an OEM 21" Sony. After one of the daytime
> > thunderstorms a while back it started to die for about half a second
> > once in a while, and now I can't get it working at all. I'm guessing
> > it's some component in the VGA input that has gotten fried, since it
> > displays "no input" and such.
> >
>    Was it a mains bump, or something very local to your computer? It could
> be a damaged component in the power supply that may then require a full
> safety check, including the 25KV or more fed to the tube (any fault could
> produce large quantities of X-rays). Sony have their own repair facility, at
> a price!! Modern monitors have a few complex chips which require close
> tolerance passive components for them to work properly, and there is often a
> problem getting spares even if you can find what has failed. There are very
> few repairers left because the cost of repairs is so often greater than the
> cost of a new one, and most equipment is covered by a long warranty.
>
> --
> Chris Bell

I'm guessing it was a spike induced by a thunderstorm. I remember I was
at work when a storm passed in a few hours. Btw, my PSU also started
behaving weird after that. I could run the machine for 1-2 hours, but
then the machine just shut down, just as if you'd pulled the plug.
I've replaced the PSU with good results, but the monitor is dead. :(
The thing is that it displays the "no input, please check cables" or
something like that, so the tube can't be shot, can it?

--
Magnus Nilsson                  Office: +44 2070 700941
Systems Administrator           Mobile: +44 7973 796019

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk