[Gllug] Web interface to mail forwarding

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Aug 15 22:26:09 UTC 2002

On 15 Aug 2002, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> I'd like to be able to give the users the ability to change the
> forwarding destination of these addresses, via a web interface. Short of
> the obvious security nightmare involved in allowing the web server to
> write to the virtusertable, how do other people cope with this sort of
> requirement. Is there a sensible way to have sendmail populate the
> virtusertable from a MySQL database or something similar?

Personally I'd write a perl CGI using mysql as data store to handle the
user interface and a separate perl script running cron cron to handle the
actual management of the virtusertable file.

It should not take more than an hour or two to write such a system in
a fairly secure manner this way.

If you were using postfix you could run the whole shebang from the mysql
data store removing the need for the second script. There are also patches
available for sendmail to allow for mysql based maps however I've not used
them.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...